10-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
As far as adding (larger, aftermarket) heat exchangers go, the consensus seems to be that they don't prevent temp from skyrocketting. What they do is, once the temp shoots up, the temp will drop down rapidly in a mere half a lap of cool-down lap - enabling the driver to may be put in 2 or 3 more hot laps in that session. In comparison, I was envious of GT3's running 10 to 12 hot laps and the oil temp indicator steadily being at 220F or so during the entire time.
Larger DCT heat exchangers don't prevent your engine oil temp from skyrocketting? -They shouldn't. They should prevent the DCT from overheating/going into limp mode/short shifting or not downshifting by keeping the trans temps in check. If you want to keep the engine oil temps down, then you need to upgrade the engine oil cooler with a larger one for continuous tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
As far as DCT being faster, at our non-professional, HPDE level, I don't know how beneficial it might be. Somebody mentioned that DCT is 2 seconds faster than 6MT, but perhaps he meant "if a DCT driver tries 6MT, he'll be 2 seconds slower than his DCT lap time"? If so, I say, tracking in 6MT and heel-and-toe'ing isn't no monumental achievement that's next-to-impossible to master. Nothing one can't get up to speed on by tracking 6MT for 5+ track days. The logic of some people...
I'd guess at a non-professional level, the difference between the non-pro and a pro would be greater in a 6MT than DCT. For 6MT vs. DCT in a pro-pro comparison, the shorter gear ratios and quicker upshifts would still result in a significant lap time benefit for a pro.

I would still love to back-to-back a stock DCT and 6MT and datalog it.
Appreciate 0