Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Sorry guys, I've been busy with school. Project was due by midnight and I was applying for internships. So I didn't get a chance to reply on here. I might be shooting my buddy's car today. It will be in the evening after I get out of class and he gets home from work. It's not for sure yet but I'm interested to see how the shots will come out if we do go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
what ISO is, is sensor sensitivity.

think of it like an amplifier, when it's nice and quiet, everything is crisp and clear, but as you turn the volume up, you still hear everything, but you sooner or later start to get distortion as you turn it up.

ISO sort of responds the same, the higher the sensitivity, the more noise it gets, but that being said, a lot of people are scared of noise when it really isn't something that we should worry about as much as we used to.

Generally you want it low, but if you need a higher shutter speed, but you want lots in focus, you're going to have to compensate for the slow shutter speed by raising the ISO so that in turn you can bring the sutter speed up.

ISO can be a good friend when you get used to using it.

Keep watching the Zach Aries videos, I believe he explains how they work in conjunction with eachother.

Dave/Dcstep shoots regularly at high ISO and I very very rarely notice noise in his photography. Part of that is because he shoots in RAW and part is because he has a great understanding of how to compensate for noise (amung other things) whie shooting in that format.

I won't be surprised if you see 20,000 shutter clicks before you're really comfortable with all the settings and it all becomes natural. Just shoot, and shoot, and when you think you're done shooting, shoot some more.

also since you're starting to shoot in RAW, i'm going to try and find a link for the codec so your computer can read RAW files so you don't have to worry about jpeg files.
I wasn't sure what exactly noise was so I googled it. It's the grainy effect that you get on an image. I've noticed that in some of my photos and I had no idea why it was doing that. But now I know! So turning down the ISO will in turn, reduce the noise. ISO and shutter speed are directly related to each other.

I will watch those videos when I get a chance.

I agree with what you said in bold. I feel like I've learn quite a bit from you guys but it doesn't mean much if you can't apply it. I'm going to do some shooting this weekend. I'm eager to try what I've learned so far. Practice makes perfect.
Quote:
Thanks for finding that for me but I have a Mac. I'll have to find one for my Mac if it already doesn't read RAW files. Aperture 3 might be able to and I have it. I'll have to try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Dave, that's true, they are related to one-another, and it's important to see your final settings before pressing the shutter. What I meant was that (for me) it's much easier to usually think of aperture than shutter speed in many instances. You shoot a photo of someone sitting indoors, lit with a lamp... do you think f/2.8 or 1/200s?

On the other hand, as someone previously posted some killer lightning shots... I'm thinking more about shutter speed (1-5s) as opposed to aperture (f/8+).
It's interesting how certain applications require you to focus more on aperture or more on shutter speed.
Quote:
also, after seeing some of the pictures, my best recommendation for you is, don't be afraid to crop, your original picture size off the camera if printed at a 1:1 ratio would take up about half your wall. So if you crop closer to your subject in some cases, you're still going to be able to print large pictures, maybe even posters off the cropped version as the quality will still be high enough.

this will help you get rid of car mirrors and such.
I've cropped a few of my photos and they do look better. I posted the untouched photos to make sure I'm shooting them right. I'll crop a few and post them. Just for feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
In the first one, you pretty much have the rule-of-thirds in play. The blue M3 is is in the left third, and if you crop it right, the white one is in the right-third.

In the second one, I think the problem is your shutter speed. Take a look at FStop7's photos (racelap, I think). He does awesome rolling shot. Check out his flickr page and see what settings he uses.
I'll crop that picture and post it.

FStop7 does some nice rolling shots. I think the blur is a little intense though (not saying the pictures are bad but just a little much for my taste).
Appreciate 0