View Single Post
      09-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

To the last two posters (kmac1980 and MrHarris), thank you for your replies. However, you're mistaken if you think potholes cause anywhere near the stress as track driving. In fact, it's a different kind of stress altogether. The problems you refer to are indications that the rim itslef (outer portion of wheel) is weak. But the claim made above about Forgestar is that they machine too much material off the hub. If this is true, it could spell disaster if a wheel breaks there (you could total your car or yourself!) A wheel breaking at a spoke or hub under cornering loads can instantly break apart. At a minimum, you're looking at damage to the brake components, suspension arm and strut, spring, wheel well liner, and likely fender. This is the scary part of going with a new product from a new company. The sellers of these wheels claim they "make great track wheels", however, that claim is simply unfounded becasue it's never been tested (the wheels haven't even been produced yet). Being one of the first customers, I am essentially becoming a tester. Having learned of problems with the 19" versions, I am now concerned about the 18" versions I ordered. This is why I'd like to hear from those above who claim too much material is shaved off the hub. How do you know? What problems have you seen as a result? I'm not interested in bent rims due to potholes... that is not a concern to me. Like kmac18980 said, tracks are generally smooth. It is common to put a wheel or two off when driving on the limit, but it's expected that performance wheels and tires can take it (this is where the resistance to bumps and potholes might come into play).