Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeiourk View Post
What do you guys think of Sony A99 vs 5D Mk III?
I've got three friends that shoot Sony for wildlife. Besides the limited lens selection, the big problem with Sony has been AF tracking. Apparently they've made strides with this camera, but I'd still be leery. See what DPReview says:
No one could reasonably expect the A99's AF performance to be on par with the much more expensive pro-oriented Nikon D4 and Canon EOS-1D X cameras. And while Sony has made obvious strides over earlier Alpha-series models, a direct peer like the Canon EOS 5D Mark III offers a nearly equivalent frame rate, wider AF array coverage and a more robust predictive traking system. The A99 does have the advantage of simplicity of operation. Set the camera to AF-D mode and choose from among the AF area options. That's literally all there is to it. And for the photographer looking to occasionally capture recreational or family sports, the A99 can produce good results, if you set your expectations accordingly.
If you're not going to shoot wildlife or specialize in fast sports, then I think that the Sony is a viable alternative to the 5D MkIII. Its sensor is top of the heap at the moment.

I'm with the 5D3 because of its unmatched lens selection and fantastic AF system.

Dave