Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
ESS doesn't make the 535 anymore, they are now 550 kits. I'm not sure, but I think the price is the same. Looking at it from a standpoint of adding hp/dollar is a bad approach. Here's what I mean. Lets say, someone spends $700 on an intake, yields 8whp. Then he spends $1,000 on tune and yields 10whp. If that person than decides to go SC. Then all this money is out the window. Making the SC more expensive in the long run. If a tune is where the person would like to end his quest for power, then yes, $1,000 for 10-15whp can be justified especially given the fact that Mike's tune makes the car so much better to drive on a daily basis - as per other people. However, remember that power is addictive, and some people might not stop there. Many VT1 kit owners have upgraded to VT2,3.

It all comes down to the consumer. If all they want is 15hp increase than the tune option is for them. ECU tunes are also perceived as less risk in terms of warranty and blowing up the motor compared to SCed cars. Some people are just not comfortable giving up that safety net, and there is nothing wrong with that. Although given the track record of ESS (the most popular choice for blowers) I don't see how something can go wrong. Perhaps a better approach would be for potential buyers to get a ride in a SC car compared to a tuned car. This however would be hard to find.
This is an interesting point ($ per hp comparison), thanks for sharing. I've thought about a blower and it's a tough one for me. I'm just really loving the N/A aspect of this engine and don't want to induce any extra wear on the motor, so I decided against it. Although they are absolutely beast with one.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Looking forward to the outcome of the races (as long as they are fair) - an E93 with tune vs an E92 with tune and test pipes isn't a fair battle! And please do it on the track vs the street, much safer and more controlled environment!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 01-28-2013 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0