01-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #37
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The lump I meant was that the 335i has all of it happening from around 1500rpm right up to 5000rpm all 300ft/lbs which is trickier to control, one of the faults of turbo engines, it's that all or nothing thing which isn't pleasant when conditions are slippy. Below this 1500rpm the M3 being N/A will still be producing torque where as the 335i will be like a 50cc scooter (joke).

Maybe the 335i is different than every other turbo car I have owned or driven but this is how each of them behave when it's slippy.
I think you are referring to the responsiveness of the engine and turbo lag. The charts I referenced and built on should be steady state dyno runs, which would not take that account obviously. But in the end that would not make the instantaneous acceleration any higher. It would just be uneven torque delivery, which can be mistaken for faster instantaneous acceleration I guess. However, if you discount turbo lag, the 335 clearly has the flatter torque curve at low rpms.

As a side note, for dyno runs with acceleration, the Tq output should be lower, and the two engines might respond slightly differently than each other to those conditions, but the output drops should be fairly consistent. I don't have that data.

Finally, let's not forget that others have commented on this claimed low-end torque issue on this forum, and have expressed opinions in the other direction, saying the M3 "feels" plenty fast at low rpms--as an M car should. I believe Steved was one of them, but I might be misremembering.

I just re-read my posts on this thread, and realized that I might have worded my earlier response to you and my initial response to hwelvaar harshly. Sorry about that.
Appreciate 0