03-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #84
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED4Mjjl View Post
Bottom line is that is that BMW M builds impressive sedans and coupes, they are not sports cars, and while they can run in the company of more dedicated machinery, they are based on mass production cars, practical yet capable of competitive speed and handling. That said they dropped the ball on the 1M, since they will build so few it would have been great to make a statement with a really lightweight car with a special engine, instead they cut corners to make it profitable for the price point they wanted. Of course it's a business but I have a feeling the Nissan GT-R may be a statement car and doesn't leave much of a profit if any at it's price point. BMW could have built a true halo car to show it can still build very light and quick cars with decent gas mileage and leading edge of technology. I would have made it for about $65k, with the same production numbers, given it a 2990 lbs weight and no less than 380 hp, and named it M-CSL a true original. Yes it would cannibalize a few M sales but would set up the next gen 1M as a mini version with a lower price point to make some profit. But then I don't run the M Division.
This. Other examples I can think of are LFA and Veyron. Sure they're in different league, but the idea is same. I'd pay 60k$ for the 1M if it had the V8, and some more carbonfiber/aluminum here and there to make it <3000lbs. Oh that would be called M1...

Hey if you ever run for "the president of M divison", you'll have my vote