View Single Post
      01-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
has anyone been able to drive with decent safety on pss's on just a small amount of snow?i have fairly new ones on oem 19" wheels,and am wondering if people have had success in those conditions.i'm trying to figure out if i need to stay off the road as soon as there's the smallest amount of snow,or if they can cope with a little bit.we don't get enough snow here in nc to justify winter tires,and this is my dd.
I'm sure someone has done it. Someone on earth has done just about every bad idea imaginable and gotten away with it. But no, don't do it, it's really a bad idea.

I'm not going to jump on bigjae's case here, b/c he's clearly not trying to run them in the actual snow. But if there's any snow accumulation on the road, summer tires can be seriously unsafe. And sometimes you just can't get going at all, so it's safe but futile. See blankstar's post above. 1 inch of snow and he only made it 1/2 block.

I would either get some sort of temporary solution for snowy days, like autosock (http://www.autosock.us/) or come up with alternate transportation for snowy days: beater car, carpool, 2wd sidecar motorcycle, taxi, public transportation, etc.