View Single Post
      10-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
MLife168
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkbbd View Post
I have always been told to never use that type of carwash, the soaps are really damaging to the paint since they have to work harder to get the dirt off the car (since nothing is being touched)
Yes this is true. I've researched the same question. The soaps are harsher since they need to work harder to get the dirt off. Hence it will strip your wax quicker.

I would hope that your car has a nice coat of wax or sealer on the paint. If so, you are not driving into these car washes with your bare paint waiting for the harsh soap to hit it. The wax or sealant acts like a buffer between the outside world and your paint.

Now after time, the harsh soap will wear away at your wax or sealant quicker than a milder soap would. If you do use the automated touchless car washes, then keep an eye on your paint protection, and you may need to re-wax sooner than someone who doesn't go through the touchless systems.

I've had my current coat of wax on for about 4 months now. Washing the car the traditional way by hand every other week; then a run through the touchless car washses every other week. With all that washing, including the harsh touchless car washes, the beading on my paint is still amazing. If I didn't tell you, you'd think that I had just recently waxed the car. I can literally see that my paint is being protected.
Appreciate 0