View Single Post
      07-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Ludey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
I have auto crossed my M3 since I bought it in May 2008. The car is very capable to say the least. Perhaps there is the perception that more people track the M3 vs. auto cross, but I'm not sure if this is true....I could GoPRo and post lots of auto cross runs, but personally I'd rather watch the videos from the track rats that are more than just a quick 1 minute dance around cones. Perhaps other auto crossers think like I do?

From my stock M3, to adding software and exhaust, to adding Michelin PSCups, to supercharging, to doing a conservative weight lose, to running Conti slicks, the M3 is a very capable auto cross car. But it's not ideal.

I run against two highly modded Corvettes: a sc/d, Hoosier A6 shod C6 'vert and a bolt on/tuned, Hoosier A6 shod C6 Carbon Edition. On a 50sec course, I'm 1 sec off the 'vert and about 2.5 secs off the Carbon Ed. What's causing the difference? Assuming the drivers are a wash, it's the weight difference (even with my savings), the A6 Hoosiers (my Conti's are more of an R6), and ... not sure.

Nonetheless. I'm not about to gain 20 years, and lose my hairline to justify a Corvette

Wear and tear? A little more brake dust to clean off the rims, a little higher gas bill on the way home, and you visit your tire guy more often.
Oh yeah man, take some vids. I'd love to see an in car of some Auto-X.

So if you could, give me some insight as I'm a 100% newbie. What should I expect if I just show up at an event, knowing basically nothing? Should I even do it this way, IE should I prep some other way. I've only auto-x'd that one time in the Ferrari so I know basically nothing other than those 3 laps
Appreciate 0