04-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I am keen on reducing the weight on my car, and am interested in establishing some cost/benefit benchmarks in that regard. The metrics are clear: lbs saved for benefit, and cost of part for cost, which results in cost/lb. Let's get this started. We can add numbers for different aftermarket components as they become available.

What else?
Great topic, I tried making a similar thread, but this is much better. I will definitely be adding to this, and you can expect a whole lot more info by the end of next week.

My initial thoughts are these:

Exhaust
As you pointed out, a significant amount can be saved here very easily. This is must.

Wheels
Based on GregW's calc's, we know that the stocks are pretty light as is. One-piece forged will be the only way to go here, I think.

Front Seats
Stock:super heavy with all of the motors...Big savings to be made here, I think as much as ~100lbs. but as T-bone mentioned can you live w/o your leather & lumbar support?

Boot lid
With the double-sided CF, it's significant. I expect ~10-15 lbs. I will post real results on this after install next week.

Hood
The stock hood is already very light, not much to gain here.

BBK
This is a big one that you missed. The stock brake assembly is very heavy. The benefits are multiplied in that it reduces the unsprung weight as well. I will be posting the results after install of the Brembo kit w/ differences in weight. Brembo just took measurements last week and I should have them in before Bimmerfest. TBD.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0