04-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #68
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I think the being proactive is great but the part I have a problem with is the way the fix is being made. Now we don't know for sure since there has been liminted details given about how the fix is going to be made but its not just a direct swap out of the old for a new. To me, just extending the wires so that the power supply is outside the headlight housing is not really a fix but more like a band-aid.

If only two power supplies out of 1000+ have gone bad, is this really something wrong with the whole batch of power supplies or just random failures? Is it something that can be remedied by just going back to the old power supply? Is it even possible to go back to the old power supply? What exactly is happening when the power supply fails that damages the headlight assembly? I think these are the questions that really need to be answered so that we can get a clear understanding of what's happening and what's needs to be done to fix it.
I understand your concern, and i'll do the best i can to answer everything. First off with the old power supply, those are no longer available because of a potential legal issue with a direct competitor to LUX. its quite a long and extensive story, and beleive me it was not a good few weeks for me dealing with that. I almost needed to stop making LUX H8's because of this.

As for the fix, With the testing that was done, we concluded that the failed power supply had overheated inside the headlight, causing damage to one of the chips, which then malfunctioned. Moving the power supply outside of the headlight and putting an in-line fuse will fix this 2 ways. It will prevent the chip from getting damaged because it will not be exposed to these temperatures, and as well the fuse will act as a safe-guard.

I hope that clears things up for you ( and others)
Appreciate 0