View Single Post
      05-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Great idea on going to a track.
First, I recommend you check out local BMW clubs in your area if you have not yet joined one, then select one near you to join. (You can check with BMW CCA for a list)

Some clubs offer track insurance for the HPDE event they are running. It is not inexpensive, but unless your own insurance covers you, it is an option. Check with your insurance agent re your coverage. In my state, my insurance is valid at the track provided the event is not a competitive activity. HPDE is considered educational.

Safety programs is what a HPDE event is all about. It is not racing. You will learn a lot from the instructors, both in car and in class. The more you participate in these the more you will learn. Once you begin, you will most likely continue.

I would think that for the first, and even second time at a HPDE event, your car right out of the box will be fine. Before any event, have your car inspected by a reputable (BMW) shop mechanic, and signed off that it is capablale and ready for track use. You want to enjoy the week end driving on a track, not working on your car. Most tracks have a vender who provide fluids etc that you are likely to need. If your car is in normal and good operating condition, I doubt you will require any thing for the week end. Logically, oil, and brake fluid are the most frequently needed things.

Read through this section for track issues people have had. I would suspect however that these issues reported here are the exception to a beginner at the track.

Go, have fun, and learn what driving a BMW is all about.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0