10-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Space View Post
This is false. "All season" tires are just that. Unlike summer tires, they work in near-freezing, freezing, and below-freezing temperatures. Unlike winter tires, they will last in warm temperatures.

Here in Middle Tennessee, we don't get much at all in the way of snow; however, temperatures consistently hover around near-freezing in the winter, especially in the mornings and evenings. As others have said, the dedicated summer tires that come on the car are worthless in cold temperatures, and can be very dangerous.

I run all-season performance tires on my M3 from about November to late March, precisely because they work fine in cold temperatures, and still provide some performance when we get a warm afternoon. Unlike dedicated summer tires, I have traction in the cold. Unlike dedicated winter tires, I am not significantly shortening tire life by driving on warm afternoons.

If you're going to drive in winter temperatures, but will avoid driving in snow, a set of all-season tires is probably a good choice.
Incorrect answer, all-seasons do NOT work as well once the temp drops below about 40F or about 5C. This is a known fact and back up links can be provided if needed.