View Single Post
      06-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

OP, glad you're okay! The car does handle well, and it stops pretty darn fast too. I agree that a pretty good driver can use that to advantage to avoid accidents.

During the first two months I had my M3 I had to fully utilize the braking capabilities of the car and/or handling to avoid being a grease spot on the road.

First time was a jacked up track riding my bumper--car in front of me did full panic stop getting on the freeway, I started braking, slowed down (as I was following at a safe distance) but I noticed in the rearview the truck wasn't going to stop in the same distance as me. I let off the brakes and swerved around the stopped car onto the shoulder, then came to a stop. The truck had locked up its brakes and ended up tapping the stopped car's bumper.

Second one was on an express way going about 50. I'm in the far left lane, and a woman decides she doesn't want to be in the left hand turn lane and jumps from a dead stop right into my lane. Emergency lane change aka a little slalom action.

No way I could have done that in a less than stellar handling car. I do think any current 1 or 3 series is capable of providing the same thing however. The 335 I had was no POS in terms of braking capability or predicable handling. Not an M, but certainly very capable. Camry, SUV? Forget it.
Appreciate 0