04-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #126
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
I have heard back from racing brake. And to tell you the truth I am sick of the run around. Ever sixnve this thread went up I was a supporter of their products. I believe that a smaller company such as Racing Brake can surpass a larger competitors in quality and customer service. I own a small business and attention to detail and the ability to go the extra mile is what gives us the advantage over the larger outfit. I have purchased front bbk and the rear rotor beginning of the year. At time of purchase I spoke to Alex from racing brake who assured me that a 4 pot rear caliper is in development and in 3 months the kit will be available. This would conclude my front and rear brake upgrade. Current cost $3800. In recent follow ups on the caliper I was informed that the design allows for a 47mm height brake pad and is 13 mm smaller than oem caliper it's designed to replace. This will leave a .5 inch or rotor uncovered which will rust if left I painted. Hmmm. This is something that I decided to deal with in time when it becomes apparent. In the least few messages I was then informed that a 2 pot rear caliper is in production and will be released in 3 months time. What is the deal with racing brake. I was assured by racing brake and other members on this forum that racing brake will utilize their front 4 pot caliper for the rear to complete the set. Whole basis of my purchase was based upon a promise of 4 pot front and 4 pot rear caliper. Additionally price quoted is 1500 for the tear calipers. So total price 5300. I have found ap racing brakes on sale as a complete set for this price and stoptech 380mm with 355 rears for well under 5000. Where is the savings and the quality with great customer service I was expecting ?

A quote from their website "Not a big name like Brembo or AP. No complicated brake theories, misleading claims or fabricated data. No gimmicks. Simply great brakes at great prices!”
Couple of things to consider:

1. Smaller company takes longer to get new products out. Patience is the key if you want their product. Also, RB's theory on braking is different. Having multiple visits with the owner showed me that he is more concerned with the capability and what's needed from a kit and not aesthetics. If a 2 pot caliper will work, then there's no need for a 4 pot.
2. Comparing prices doesn't tell you the entire story. You can bet that it costs more for RB to make the brakes than it does AP or Stoptech due to their volume. So just because the prices are similar doesn't mean that the margins nor profit are the same.

In the end, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever route you choose.
Appreciate 0