footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by waremark View Post
Spent half a day in my M3, the other half in a 997S. I thought the M3 was not only faster in a straight line, it felt more planted, better equipped and had a better quality interior. The idea that the 911 handles better - can someone describe what that feels like?

On the other hand, and surprisingly, the 911 had the better ride on bumpy uk roads, the 911 has a marvellous throttle, clutch and gearchange, and because it looks like a sports car has more sense of occasion.
I too have spent my fair share of time behind the wheel of all forms of 911s, right up to the pre-face lift 997, both on the track and off it and I can't see how so many people are frilled at it's handling balance. The experience I have had is of the thing being all over the show, you get understeer and oversteer all in the one corner, it's steering is way to light to give real confidence and under extreme braking you really do feel that odd weight balance at work. Maybe some people take pleasure in trying to tame the beast on the track, good luck to them. I might add that most of these concerns on the track were more pronounced with the rear version, in the C4S it was more predictable but still not as good as a Cayman would have been.

I can't say I found any difference in the ride between 997 and M3, at least mine with the 18" and EDC on comfort. The one thing I preferred with the M3 was that the steering wasn't as busy as it was with the Porsche, I like a bit of info on what the road is like but not the constant bucking the 997 does when the road is bumpy as is so often the case in the UK.

Another thing, Porsche switch gear is awfully cheap in feel. Their leather work is first rate, right up there with Audi but their switch gear and ergonomics is plain awful.
Appreciate 0