07-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremePower3335 View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a 335XI Sedan. That is our family car and more for the wife so I am looking for something for myself. I am cross-shopping 997.2 and the Competition M3.

Well I finally drove it on Sat. While the sound was "intoxicating" and look was amazing it wasnt a car that I was like WOW I need to have this..In a way the steering wheel felt loose not tight like my 335 but that could have been b/c we kept it at the lightest settings. B/C we drove it on the local highway we just not get it up to speed..Anyway it was nice and everything but when I looked at the price - it was almost exactly what the 911S was..now if I looked at the M3 MY 2008/2009, the 2006 997.1 are similarly priced so that's where I am kind of stuck..If I want to buy the newer 997.2 I am going to have to wait a while while I can get a MY '08/'09 and save myself $30K or get and older 911 and risk major repairs (eg IMS)...I have to say when a drove the 911S, it was amazing..the handling, the interior etc..One thing that really bugs me is that a 3 Series and M3 interior is almost the same (minus the Headrest)..I love the 911's interior..anyway back to the drive..

Anyway I know this is a M3 forum so I may get bashed but I am interested in your comments/opinions - FLAME SUIT ON
Before I bought my M3 last year, I test drove the following cars:

Cayman S
997 S
997 4S
Panamera
550i
e60 M5
GTR
Also owned an RS4

I chose the M3 above them all. M3 has a complete Jekyll and Hyde personality. Driven calmly with everything on the softest settings, it is a tame and docile daily transport tool. To know its performance capabilities, you have to drive it hard. When you do, you will be simply astonished at what it does, and the composure it maintains while doing so. If the M3 were a person, it would be James Bond.