04-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
MS/AFE/APE filters don't have the plastic reinforcement structure you see inside the stock filter. I am wondering if the BMC filter is more rigid.
I am not sure, but the BMC fitted much better and felt much more sturdy. It also comes in 2 versions, US and EU spec. My car is a 2010 so it require the EU filter and only BMC has the EU spec version. Both the AFE/MS filter required an adaptor. That just IMO is more parts and complicated. Any good engineer will tell you, less parts=less headaches. That was one of the reasons I went with BMC. Others is that they actually have racing history and background, unlike MS which just came out of nowhere (dont want to get into details as Im just speculating). BMC has been know to make filters for Ferrari and even for various F1 teams. Now of course that doesn't mean you have a F1 filter in your car if you choose to go with the BMC, but at the same price (even the cheapest if you need the adaptor) than the rest and from a reputable company, it was a no-brainer to know they've had the know-how and quality. Of course various vendors will now jump in and defend/promote their product and its their right to do so this is just my own opinion. All filters are very good, I just think BMC has the edge.
Appreciate 0