View Single Post
      10-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #45
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

this has been extremely helpful thank you. yes my stock E46 ride was harsh, when i put in the JRZ it transformed the car and gave it a better ride but handled better. i guess i would look something towards that but may not happen

what you have for a setup sounds about right. and with the 18 inch track wheels it all makes sense now. the poor guys get 19's bc they can use one set for both lol

thanks alot

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Ride quality depends on the shock settings but when set at 0 compression and 1 rebound (out of 7 settings for both) the ride is slightly firmer than the normal EDC setting. Yes you feel more imperfections in the road but the bumps/dips are very soft. My stock E46 M3 rode a lot worse than this setup. Also, this setup passes the wife test and as I've said before she's impressed by the setup to the point where she was bragging to her 80 something parents who could give a shit about suspensions. So the actual trade-off of improvement in handling vs. degradation in ride quality is very good.

As far as the 20" wheels are concerned - I bought this suspension setup primarily for improvement in track performance where I run 18" wheels. On the street I honestly can not feel much in the way of reduction in handling or balance of the car. I was really worried about going with a 255/295 tire combo as far as increasing understeer but it honestly made very little difference. Also, the Volk G2's are pretty lightweight for a 20" wheel so I would assume that helps some. I agree 20" wheels are not optimal for handling/ride quality but I like the look....

One important caveat, I am having some noise coming from the rear shocks especially on a bumpy surface at slow speeds. It's not noticeable if you're listening to the radio or have the windows down. The noise diminishes as you increase the rebound stiffness. I've been in contact with Moton and they have been very apologetic and are working on a solution. Basically they are doing a redesign of the dampers and have promised to provide replacements. I didn't act like it was a huge deal because I was so happy with the handling improvement that a little noise was a minor IMO. But the the guys at Moton have been super responsive and I'm expecting a fix pretty quickly.

Thanks!
BC
Appreciate 0