07-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #38
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by otoupalik View Post
1. This is a fallacy that BMW engineers are maximizing performance on every level. You must realize that these car companies, and especially BMW being the most profitable around, make decisions all the time that are not based on performance. Often, they will make choices on cost, value, longevity, time-frame, etc. I cannot speak as to why BMW does or does not do what they do.
Thanks for the answers Brad.

I am not saying BMW engineers are maximizing performance at all costs. Actually, that's why I mentioned "trade-off". They are maximizing performance against competing criteria such as emissions, durability, everyday drivability, etc.

What I am taking away from your answer is that the car might run into some cooling and charging issues if it is operated at low rpms for an extended period of time.

One last question: have you taken an E9X M3 equiped with your product to the track? If you did, what oil temp did it reach after about 25 minutes of hard driving? I am still trying to understand why cooling would not be an issue even at higher vehicle/engine speeds if the car is pushed really hard. It's not as if the stock setup simply stays pinned at 210 degrees. Mine was running at around 255 on a tight track with a relatively short straight. So, why would under-driving the water pump not result in less cooling in those conditions? Are you saying that the water pump cativates at those engine speeds and does not function optimally in the stock setup to begin with so slowing it down doesn't result in less cooling at high revs?