12-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #22
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I have the OEM Exhaust mod and love the sound, but I now have an opportunity on a full Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust at a decent price. If I hadn't done the OEM mod, I would have jumped at the deal, but I'm very satisfied with the sound so I'm debating whether I should pull the trigger.

I think Akrapovic Evolution sounds great, but I really love how the Modded OEM exhaust turned out and it's bone stock look.

Akrapovic
Pros: Weight savings, power, good sound.
Cons: Need for a tune to get full power, warranty issues, $$

OEM
Pros: Sound is awesome, tremendous help with heel toeing, rev matching, $$
Cons: weight

Anything I should look out for on a used Akrapovic Full Exhaust Evolution? Is the mounting hardware good for a reinstall?
Do it. If you don't like it, you could throw it back on the market and take little to no loss.

If you buy the evolve setup for the tune, you will also have logging eventually - when they release it. So it will be of great benefit even if you chose to run the stock programming. You can use it to diagnose problems, etc. But, none of this may be important to you...everyone is different. There are simple flash tunes that seem to produce solid gains - so various options there.

To me, the M3 is all about being greater than the sum of its parts. If you look at any "weight savings" in a vacuum, it may seem pointless (eg carbon fiber roof, plastic fenders, etc). So something like the Akrapovic is the perfect compliment - saving over 50+ lbs and producing serious power.

Unless...potential warranty issues really keeps you up at night. In that case, perhaps the grass really is always greener? ; )

Good luck.
Appreciate 0