View Single Post
      04-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Read your original post. I can understand your logic. I think there will always be people who want that extra performance w/o compromising their warranty and going aftermarket. Some people just don't have the time to research their upgrades and deal with mechanics and tuners. That's where M comes in. People are willing to pay a premium for a ///M car because it's tuned (engine, suspension, visually, etc..) straight out of the factory---it's got full warranty and it's badged differently so they can feel special. I can understand that.

Sure, ///M cars may be heavier and less "pure," but one can say that about the rest of BMW's line as well. I don't think ///M's philosophy has really changed. They make faster, more special versions of BMW's normal models, like they always have.
That's a good point u have at the end. How do you feel about the x5/6 M? Personally, I love them, but I don't know why.

Conversely, I would rather perform my own vasectomy than drive an R Class AMG.

I think an m car works for a particular segment, only if you could picture a cinema hero driving one, sans irony.

Sure Mr and mrs smith has a bádáss minivan chase, but in reality an amg version adds nothing to that.