11-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenross View Post
there has to be someone else in the market for one of these babies asking themself the same questions..

S
My sense - and, of course, it is only a sense and likely about as accurate as me trying to predict the weather - is that this is the new reality in terms of the cost of leasing an M.

It seems like BMW has sharply reduced production and doesn't have the same issue it had a year ago with way too many of the early models out there. On one hand I can't really figure out why BMW (which as we all know is not doing the best in terms of financial results right now) is not trying a bit harder to incentivize people here to buy these cars, but on the other perhaps the cost of production really is quite high and they're just not willing to take a hit in terms of profitability on these cars.

The cost of leasing an M3 right now is bordering on crazy if one thinks about the other cars one could lease for a similar price. It's even making me think about whether I should buy rather than lease, though that is probably not the right approach for me as I tend to like a new car every two years which is why I have leased historically.

Would be interested in other posters' thoughts on this but I have a feeling that we're not going to see a material uptick in the residuals or reduction in the MF any time soon.

bknight
Appreciate 0