pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I went DSC off full-time exactly 12 months after I started tracking and, one month after that, did an epic trip to 3 NorCal tracks (Thunderhill, Sonoma and Laguna Seca on Fri, Sat & Sun, respectively) in mid-June 2012 and kept DSC off. Imagine, 3 new tracks I'm running for the very first time, only 13 months into tracking, and driving them with DSC off. Were my lap times great? No.

Not necessarily that you should too, but I'm glad I decided to focus on driving and not get attached to artificial lap times.
My first track event was May 2013 (since my last track day in 2007) followed up by my 2nd one in July at BW (that thought me to skip the summers) so I have about a year under my belt as well. POC/PCA (who I mostly track with now) do not tolerate going off and will boot you after you go off 3 times so that's another reason why I don't turn them off. For me, there's way more downside with turning them off than keeping them on. At the kind of speed the RS can get up to the track, even the smallest driver error could result in very bad things happening like being seriously injured (cars can be replaced). I'm not ashamed to say it, but the car scares me sometimes and I'm glad to have the nannies as a safety net. I wouldn't be surprised if I put the RS out to pasture and pick up something cheaper to track like a Cayman at which time I'll be more apt to turn the nannies off.
you can always go slower in the meantime to learn. turning off TC doesnt automatically mean you will spin out. driving past your skill does though.

if you haven tried yet, i would slow it down for a few events and learn how to feel a slide and recover from it and gradually get faster.

who knows? like i have, you might just have more fun going slower but being in total control than before just going real fast. and when you catch that first oh shit moment i guarantee you will be laughing and smiling the whole time! (do it at tracks with no walls first we are lucky to be in california )

i wish i had a car of your caliber i would be sliding that shit everywhere and also be freaking fast on the straights!
Appreciate 0