View Single Post
      08-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
icantdrive
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
According to Technic, one of the clear E9x audio experts on this forum, the EPS system's component speakers are excellent quality and do not need to be replaced for any reason (on top of that, they are some of the only speakers that will even FIT in our shallow-mount doors to begin with). However, the MOST fiber link to the OEM amp is problematic because you can't just plug-and-play a new amp in its place. I had read most of the audio threads on here before ordering my M3, and based on all the available information (and looking up the cost of purchasing the EPS speakers separately), I decided to upgrade to EPS on my car. From here, all I will need to do is replace my 2 8" underseat woofers with more punchy models, such as the SWS-8X, and add a good 12" sub to the trunk. In order to make this work with the EPS amp, you have to convert the powered outputs to flat using LC2/6i devices, and then from there go into your aftermarket amp, JL XD or Alpine PDX. Once that's done, I'll have done very little wiring/modification (IMO) and have an amazing system for maybe an additional $1500 over the cost of EPS itself. I'd say ~$3200 total (since my EPS was less than $1900 due to negoatiation) is a good price for a complete audio system, and less work than it would have been without EPS.

That said, if you want to add MS-8 and completely remove the stock amp, your only real option is to stay with the HiFi system and upgrade everything yourself. But for me, I think my strategy will result in a very nice sounding car.
You should do a write up. This is almost what I want to do, but not sure how to install it...
Appreciate 0