View Single Post
      06-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #48
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
As much as the somewhat low tech approach of certain Corvette systems do not appeal to me from a technical perspective, you can not argue with results. Bruce is spot on here. The transverse composite leaf spring rear set up on the Vette (Z06 and ZR1) is not your father's pick up truck leaf spring set up. It is light, highly refined and effective. That being said the GT2 C6.R Vette did go with an upgraded to the leaf spring set up to a full coil over in the rear. From that we can conclude either the performance or adjustability dictated the upgrade. I would guess a bit of both, not just adjustability. So even though we might conclude there is a bit more performance to be had from a more traditional rear suspension set up for the production Vette, you simply can not argue with its handling prowess.
I would postulate that, in this case, performance is adjustability. I can't see how you could adjust the transverse leaf springs in any meaningful way, so you'd need to have a bunch of those lying around, with various curvatures and spring rates applying to various tracks, and/or conditions.

Given the nature of those springs, the setup would be somewhat complex, and the cost would be fiendish.

Better to have easy, on track adjustability with tried-and-true coilovers.

Bruce

PS - I'm surprised they don't have coilovers in front, as well. Thought they did.
Appreciate 0