View Single Post
      11-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #218
Jscopus
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Have an '08 M3 092 and have noticed 1st-2nd under aggressive acceleration is very notchy. Occasional grind but it goes in. Have been driving MT's for 25+ years including 911, 046 M3 so I am pretty confident I know how to shift. My daughter's boyfriend just picked up a beautiful white/cinnamon 046 M3 with 30K on it. He is not as experienced a driver and was embarrassed that he was shifting poorly as he said at high RPM's the 1st-2nd gear shift grinds. Not sure how much might have been just inexperience so I took it out with him and with aggressive acceleration/shift it grinds like hell but goes into gear. Prompted me to come here to look as I had an identical M3 that sadly did not rack up much mileage as I was T-boned by an SUV and it was totaled. Has anyone had luck with any of the above mentioned solutions? Not sure how strong left pressure on the shifter will correct a problem. Car is fine until under aggressive/high RPM 1-2 shift. Everywhere else, not a problem. But the grinding is impressive. Anything other than anecdotal fixes? Any "formal" thoughts from BMW? Obviously nothing will be released for public consumption as it would spark a wave of dealer visits. Anything underground info?
Appreciate 0