View Single Post
      09-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #212
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
he did mention D4 if that means anything. He also put in some sort of friction modifier. The entire gearbox is alot smoother, but it still does not solve the 1-2 shift. Better yes, but not solved. On a side note the Lifetime BMW fluid is a joke as mine had 12,000 miles on it and looked horrible.
Probably Redline D4ATF, which is the correct fluid for our M3, but it doesn't need any 'friction modifiers'; wonder if it didn't improve the 1-2 shift because of that. And no, there's no such thing as 'lifetime fluid' indeed... unless you want a short 'lifetime' . And yes, BMW recommends changing both tranny and diff fluids for the 6MT every 3rd oil change, which equates to approx. every 30K miles.

Finally, since BMW pays for service, they can probably demand OEM fluids, as MMorish said, so I'd follow his advice if you still plan to take it in. Oh, and I wouldn't consider a 1-2 grind a defect if it only happens when shifting gears very quickly. It's a quirk rather than a defect, and even a new tranny will probably still have the trait unless something changed internally, which you should be able to verify. Good luck man, and please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0