View Single Post
      06-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #15
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma550 View Post
hey, i got my supplies in and was going to try this weekend. Did you do the tent method? making the film tent a little and using the trim as a guideline to cut? Did you tuck the film around the trim or make it come to the very edge? Mu guess for a lot is that you overshoot a little while cutting, then roll the edges behind. Lastly, did you do it dry or with alcohol/water? I think my 1080 calls for a dry but clean application. Thanks a lot!
Here ya go:

- Don't know what the 'tent method' is, so didn't do that.

- I cut the trim with about 1/2" extra (1/4 on each end). I then used a small squigi (had it from doing window tint) to roll the wrap around the edges. I then hit it with a heat gun while wiping with a micro-fiber towel. Then took the razor blade and ran it on the backside of the trim to trim it.

- You don't want to cut on the edge. You are putting black over chrome, so any chrome that is visible will stick out like a sore thumb. That's why you wrap it around the edges and trim from the back side.

- I did it dry. If you bought the 3M stuff, it won't stick 'hard' until you rub it down. You can lightly press it in place here and there to hold it, then pull back up if you need to until you rub it down good.

Hope this helps. It wasn't that bad, but remember, overshoot with the wrap and cut at the very edges where you can't wrap it around a lip (i.e. the A pillars). If any chrome shows through it looks like crap! Good luck...

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0