View Single Post
      09-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #26
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Except it is not called an automatic, not by BMW or by the vast majority of DCT owners. I would say the majority of those who call the DCT an automatic do not understand the difference and/or don't car about the difference to include the advantages of DCT over an automatic.

For me, I've used the D mode probably less than 30 miles of the 6000 I've put on my car so far.
As with VAG (and now Porsche), BMW calls their transmission something other than the norm because it's a (relatively) new design, and they wish to differentiate. They'd be crazy if they didn't.

When GM introduced the first mass production automatic, they called it a "Hydra-Matic", and for decades, people said hydramatic when they referred to anyone's automatic, no matter the name. Other manufacturers thought up names for their own automatics (i.e. - Fordomatic, Flightomatic, Torqueflite, Powerglide, Powerflite, etc.), but it took a couple of decades for the "hydramatic" term to drop from the everyday lexicon.

Many VAG, BMW (and now Porsche) owners don't refer to their brandy-new transmissions as automatics for several reasons:

1. The manufacturer calls out and publicizes new designs, as do car salesman, etc.

2. A minor touch of OCD.

3. Fear of scrotum shrinkage.

In the fullness of time, I believe these double-clutch designs will continue to proliferate, and will inevitably become known as automatics (all this assuming the internal combustion engine has a fairly long future).

Then, maybe someone will come up with a new type of automatic, and will definitely call it something else.

I'm perfectly content with you and anyone else calling the M-DCT whatever you like, but not content with M-DCT cops policing what others (including me) call this transmission.

See 2 and 3, above.

Bruce
Appreciate 0