View Single Post
      12-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
bren335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Tom,

Let me assure you I've been decompiling software hex files long their were even resellers. I know what goes into both files and I will tell you that GIAC is a great OTS file, and would be even better if it was custom tuned to each customer's vehicle. Without that final touch - it will not compare to another. There's simply no comparison, PC goes the extra notch.

I've used various files over the years, from various different models dating back tot he mid 90s and I'll tell you both companies have had there share of POOR tunes put out on the market too early and customer service issues. I've seen businesses come and go, I've seen horrible knock inducing tunes sell millions due to market dominance and marketing.

I made no boosted claims, VF makes great kits, and GIAC tunes them. I got the chance to work with a VF Stage 3 M3 on the east coast about 7 months ago. GIAC appeals to the masses with a conservative file that won't warm or break laws (no cats). That is what they stand by and good for them. However, the longer this car is out and brought to the dyno and drag strip - the more obvious the gap will be made between off the shelf tuning and custom service tuning by Powerchip.

For the guys who don't want canned software and want a little more then the guy in the next lane - Powerchip. For the guys who don't care and just want a flash n' go file PC and GIAC are great options.

Making a generalization about Drew's run mid winter with his drag racing skills is . He has a track record of excellent driving. Sticky did 12.0-12.1 eons ago (back in 08) on a PC tune with exhaust and DR's in the summer. Mathew back in 03 still holds the title for the S54 run.

It's blatantly obvious to see ones marketing agenda with GIAC, I've worked with PC directly here and there and haven ever seen an issue. This forum glows with praise. If you're in the business of programming, you'd be ignorant not to think you won't brick an ecu or have to revert to stock at some point to troubleshoot. Things happen, it's how you handle them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Agreed - The GIAC file is probably the best out there, just not widely marketed at every single chance a software thread is brought up.

As for the boosted claims, that will be put to the test within the next week:

I had the Powerchip installed on my M3 back in June and was not happy with the results, a number of other issues (both mechanical and support related) rose began during programming when the DME needed to be returned to stock, luckily - we were able to remove the software with some help from the autologic team and get back on track.

I've known the Powerchip guys for some time and have dealt with them since the S54 days on software, but the GIAC flash simply performed better - which is the reason we decided to team up with them.

Stay subscribed to our journal thread, we will be posting our results soon.

DLSJ5's "off the shelf" file has been producing some amazing results.
Appreciate 0