Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for chiming in Mike. This is all great info. I wanted to clarify what I said above, and also make sure I understand the full story in light of what you have added.

So, to clear up my earlier statements, my assertion that non-iDrive cars don't get Sport+ should have been better qualified. As you say above you can code in Sport+ Power for such cars. My understanding, though, is that the tradeoff with coding Sport+ to a non-iDrive car is that this setting will then also be activated by the Power button on your console. In other words, the limitation for non-iDrive cars is that they only support two Power settings, period. So if you choose to code Sport+ then you lose either Sport or Normal Power. Is this correct?
My pleasure.

You are correct here for the most part. The M setting is separate from the Power button. So if you opted for the M button to have Sport plus, you would have normal throttle (with everything off), sport with the power button on, and then sport plus with the M button. So theoretically you could have all three modes available, although sport plus is past the point of diminished returns. Some people like it though. The limitation of the iDrive cars is not necessarily losing functionality in terms of available options, it's more about losing the flexibility to change what the button does. Think of the programming for a non-iDrive car in terms of the M button mapping as being static instead of dynamic, although you should be able to pick the options that suit you for that static mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

At first I didn't understand what you were saying here exactly, but I think I get it. You mentioned above the fact that the M Button can be programmed to leave Power "unchanged", just like an iDrive-equipped car can. So I think what you are saying here is that you could also have it set to leave the other settings - aside from DSC and Servotronic - remain unchanged as well (again, just like an iDrive car can). I.e.:

Power: Unchanged
DSC: MDM
Servotronic: Sport
EDC: Unchanged
Drivelogic: Unchanged
Shift Lights: Unchanged

(Last three settings only apply where equipped, obviously)

This way, your M button is now just an "MDM and Servotronic-Sport" button. You then just adjust the other things from the console buttons (BC in the shift lights case) as you normally would. Right?

But this begs the question what if you later hold the M button down to program it? Wouldn't the "Unchanged" settings then be wiped out, thus leaving you no way to go back to them without recoding?
Edit: You can hold it down to program the memory on non iDrive cars. On iDrive cars you set it through the CCC/CIC.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 01-13-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0