08-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgthis View Post
You think me asking you to substantiate your claim makes me a fanboy? Grow up. Do you see my username? I'm not exactly an AMG fanboy, but I do think they make some great engines. Besides dodging my question entirely, let me answer yours. Do I think it makes them inherently better? No. But is it something to be proud of, why the hell not? Even if it doesn't necessarily provide more horsepower being hand built/assembled/what have you, why wouldn't I be happy that my engine was built by a skilled technician who does his job with the finesse and love that machines don't possess? It's not all about performance numbers, I guess I'm one of the few that value intangible qualities such as workmanship. I suppose you have higher standards for what constitutes hand built. For me at least, if hands are directly involved in assembling the engine, it's hand built. Aston Martin hand builds some amazing V12s that aren't really the most powerful, but unique nonetheless.
Hey I simply took your question and turned it 180 degrees around, essentially saying that I haven't seen any substantial argument for either side.

Based on the documentary I've seen, even the engine in a 320i is at some point hand-assembled. I don't know if that's that case with every manufacturer, but at BMW there are some steps still done by hand. So by your definition, your engine and my engine are hand built for sure.

As for a labor of love, your skilled technician may have a terrible hangover when he has his hands I your engine, or perhaps his wife is cheating on him, so love for the work may or may not come into the equation. Even without extreme cases, for all you know it's just a boring job for him, and how would you know any different?

So by all means, buy the mystique along with the brand.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0