02-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90
Oh man there are a ton of things to do there. You can even hit up Sonoma too and expand your possibilities even more. But for now I suppose you should stick to Napa since there are already a lot of things to do. Here are a few places that I've been to and liked.

O'brien Estate- on the outskirt of town but has very good wines. They name their wines after stages of a relationship which is kind of cool. Their tour was also informative. We went during harvest season and had a chance to taste the grapes which was nice.

Robert Mondavi- good informational tour about how wine is made and such. They have good desert wines along with others such as cab and merlot.

V.Sattui- good wines and good BBQ on weekends. As far as I know it's the only winery that can offer food because it started doing so a long time ago. Later on Napa passed a law saying that wineries can't offer food because it would take too much away from local restaurants. It's located in about the center of things (along with Robert Mondavi and a bunch of others).

Castello di Amorosa- cool 13th century castle/winery. You can do a tour of the castle which takes you to the dungeon/torture chamber, etc. and then have wine tasting at the end. Pretty cool place. It's about 10-15 minutes further up from V. Sattui.

Sterling- now I've heard mixed reviews about this place. The cool thing is that it has a tram ride that takes you to the top of a hill where you do the self-guided tour and wine taste. It has a very nice view of the valley. However, the wines didn't taste that good to us. I heard their higher end wines are good but we didn't taste anything that was good so who knows...It's about $25 a person for everything so I expected some good wine. They do give you a small souvenir wine glass at the end.

Darioush Winery- I haven't been to this one but heard it's amazing. It's very elegant and just a treat for the eyes so perhaps you should check it out. Their wines are supposedly good too.

Close by O'brien is Trefethen Winery. It is a humongous winery but we didn't like the wines there. It was...okay...not good. You could get a business card from O'brien and get a 2 for 1 tasting. It's just about 1/4 mile away from O'brien.

There are a ton of other things to do like underground caves/wineries, hot air balloon rides, etc. that you can do. Not sure how long you're staying but the things I listed above should be enough for about 2 days. Don't forget there are many restaurants to check out too.
Thank you