View Single Post
      07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
I'm getting a little confused by people continually scoffing at the break-in procedure and am curious to know how many have actually disregarded those instructions (completely - a random time or two past 5500 RPMs doesn't count).

I get the feeling it is more people than you'd think, and certainly more than people are willing to admit on here. For that reason, this is not a public poll. While this discussion has been had numerous times before, I don't believe we've had a poll that differentiates between lessees and purchasers. In my experience reading threads on this forum, it is the former that most often ignore the procedures.

Regardless of whether you bought or leased, why would you disregard a manufacturer's recommendations for break-in? Don't you think BMW is in the best position to set the proper procedure for breaking in a product that they've manufactured?? Is it impatience?? 1200 miles doesn't take that long to get to IMO...
According to some government agencies, it is unsafe to drive over 65mph? Does that mean you never do it?

I have yet to find anyone be able to provide a proper scientific explanation for a 1200 mile break-in on this car. I have read a fair number of proper scientific explanations for why you shouldn't follow this protocol.

One thing I can say with a fair amount of certainty....BMW's decision to recommend this "break-in" has some kind of financial or legal implication to it. I doubt it has anything to do with science or engineering.

I would imagine that people's comfort with following or not following the recommendations has a lot to do with their knowledge of engines or physics or experience with prior highly tuned vehicles.