03-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #214
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Uh, this idiot?

I'm not completely sure of it, but it appears that footie is playing at a much higher level than you are in this discussion.

Anybody shifts in a corner if that's where the car dictates a shift. It's awfully damned simple. As a for instance, in the Carousel at Mont Tremblant, many, many cars have to pick between second and third gear going in. Those that need second are going to have to shift somewhere in the corner, and no matter. You've just got to manage the shift so as not to end up playing the clown.

My old Neon absolutely had to have second gear going through there, else I'd lose between seven and eight mph at the end of the following straight - the longest straight on the course. Coming out of Namerow at the same track, practically everybody with fairly short gearing has to shift while stilll pulling at or close to max G. It's the nature of the beast.

Shifting during a corner is routine. You absolutely don't do it unless you have to, but sometimes you must.

Anybody with serious track time would understand this.

Bruce

Footie at a high level??

Yes, I understand what you are saying and I have not driven Mount Tremblant.....so equating this to tracks that I know.....
  • I would never shift at Mosports's 2nd and 4th corners
  • I would not shift through the essess at Watkins Glen
  • I would shift mid-way through the corner just before Fabi Straight at Shannoville