01-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
Yeah I don't need R-Compound tires I know that for sure. I just wanted to get some higher grip "ultra summer" cheaper tires that cost less that michelins for accelerated consumption (track/autox).

I don't think I will bother with the ducting. I'd rather just do the BBK than cut the hell out of the bumper junk.

Maybe I'll try the "street sport"

I'm surprised you guys are all positive on the pad swap. After reading a ton of other threads I was convincing myself a BBK is 100% mandatory. (Horror stories about destroyed rotors, melted pads etc.)
Regarding tires, I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the street but they melted on me at the track once and became very dangerous. I've now switched to Nitto NT05's which I daily drive with during track season and they have turned out to be a nice track tire. They provide a lot of feedback and grip very well. They also don't burn up at the track and continue to perform session after session. I just did 180 track miles with them last weekend and I was extremely pleased. Then I drove home 275 miles and they are just as quiet as my street Michelins.

Also, I echo everyone's comments about upgrading the stock brakes first. I have the StopTech 380/365 system and it does not allow for proper modulation/transition like the stock brakes do. The stock brakes have perfect feel and feedback and are terrific to learn to track on. The StopTech's on the other hand take more pedal before they initially "bite"...and when they bite it's abrupt. After almost a year with them it's still hard for me to get used to how non-progressive they are. I find myself fighting the brakes all the time at the track.

I transitioned to the ST system only because I'm running a blower and track at places like Big Willow (a very fast track) where I have to slow down from ~ 150+ which the stock brakes and track pads have trouble doing for 20+ laps. If I didn't track there I'd be fine with and prefer the stockers.

Hope to see you at the track soon. A bunch of us forum members are actually going to Big Willow tomorrow (Sunday Jan 5). See the Cali regional forum for SpeedDistrict if interested
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0