11-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #79
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post
No, you're wrong. I have a knack for that but not exactly...I agree with you, I just didn't phrase it well enough.The MC's OEM air intake doesn't have the leak you are suggesting. right, you in effect "added" a higher-pressure source of air for the intake, by blocking off the "brake-duct" portion of the "brake-duct". Yes...I'm with you.The OEM brake duct on my MC is NOT actually a scoop for the air intake system, it merely acts as a source of cold air into which the snorkel from the air-filter box is attached. However, I have converted it into a scoop for the air-intake system by almost completely blocking it off, this has increased the pressure inside the "scoop" over what it was when it was a "brake duct". The second air intake is behind the headlamp and this is VERY leaky and is not sealed at all. If you block the mouth of this second air intake, then the MC loses power BIG TIME at WOT.

The photo below shows what I have done.-that's cool man, good job.

It appears to me that you have the idea that some of the air entering your intake system through the air scoop, Part 3, when the engine is working at WOT will exit out through the air intake/vent Part 1.That is exactly what happens at anyhing under WOT...at WOT, I don't know without taking pressure readings. Again, if the air being forced in from locations 2 and 3 isgreater than the engine's draw, there will be spillage out of #1.
Do those two inlets provide 16.8 cubic meters per minute or more??? I don't know. I'd bet it's not, but I don't know.

Think about this: if your bath taps had hose pipes connected to them so that the water leaving the hose pipes was below the level of the overflow drain in the bath, do you think that the water would stop flowing out of the pipes as soon as the water level covered the ends of the hose pipes and that this would stop the bath from filling further? If not, why does this arrangement not stop the taps from running, even if the hot tap was only flowing at half the rate as the cold tap?
If you sealed that tub, and the pressure in the tub, with a small drain, was greater than the outlet pressure of the hot tap, then yes it would stop the water flow. IMHO, that's my impression of the airbox.
Without the pressure sensor, I can't say anthing with certainty...it's all theory now.

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0