View Single Post
      10-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Then why would ANYONE pay the fee up front, when all they'd have to do is take the chance of not needing the FD, then only paying the $75 when they have to show up? I ask you, would you pay the $75 every year, or just "when needed to save my house"?

I guarantee that most people would skip paying the fee if they could just pay it at the time of service. The FD does have a point in that regard (it was pointed out in the story.)

And if they had put out the fire, what recourse would the FD have to make the homeowner pay anything? None! Hell, they probably couldn't even get the $75 fee. Having a fee-based service suggests that the two parties enter into a contract for services. He didn't pay, thereby initiating the contract, so he could claim to own nothing.

How about car insurance? "Sorry, I forgot to pay my car insurance bill, but they should cover my loss anyway, as long as I pay the premium after the fact, right?" Name a company that would accept those terms...

Guy paid nothing, so he should get nothing. Had someone's life been in jeopardy, I'm sure the FD would have done something then, but to save "stuff"? Sorry, don't "forget" to pay your bill next time.
^this

Why do those that don't play by the rules always bitch when it bites them in the ass? You can bet that would be the first bill I was paying every year. IT sucks that the dogs died, but really they probably could have snagged them on the way out the door if they were thinking.
Appreciate 0