Thread: Z4 Vs 335i
View Single Post
      05-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #8
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

I never owned a manual tranny car before. So this E90 is my first foray into A) a manual tranny B) a RWD car C) a BMW.

Prior to purchasing...I would say I respected BMWs but I obviously didn't know that much about them. I knew that BMW had a good reputation of being the Ultimate Driving Machine. I just assumed that the manual tranny would be a dream to operate.

How my dream was since crushed. I soon learned that a Honda Civic shifts smoother than my BMW. My CDV was the first to go...and the large BMW OEM shift knob was switched a shorter knob. Still...I find that the shifts are a little too clunky compared to the $15,000 Honda Fit I test drove the other day. A $40,000 car shifts no better than $15,000. Sigh. Let's not even talk about the clutch here...the clutch in my E90 is fairly heavy compared to the Honda's I've driven. Altho...some may argue that a heavy clutch adds to the sportiness of the car. But then the M3 I "test drove" around the block last week had an extremely light clutch. So....wtf?

Basically...if I had a choice, I would have a car with a engine and chassis design/made by BMW, manual tranny made by Honda, engine note designed by Ferrari...and I would be in love.
Appreciate 0