Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Uninformed? I read the information. The bhp is provided by Merc themselves. If you claim they all have more I'd like to see your proof and I don't mean some dyno run that guesses the crank bhp as they can't measure it and don't know the exact losses to the wheels. That would suggest that it's you that is uninformed. Dyno's cannot tell the crank bhp. End of. It's only an estimate and I'd be more inclined to believe the people that made the car then someone trying to flatter you and your car so you'll pay them more to use their dyno.

I told you I was painting here (still am) so just picked the first source in my search so I didn't go hunting for one that suits me.

To state that magazine tests are a waste of time is utter nonsense. They do more accurate testing that driving along waiting to hear the third honk. Magazines use equipment to accurately measure the performance over any given distance. They use the same test for each car so using figures for 2 different cars by the same magazine is waaaaaaaaaaaay more accurate then your suggestion. My point is that the extra bhp will be partially (if not all) negated by the extra weight and those figures prove it.

If you chose not to believe them or accuse a magazine test of being nonsense because it doesn't agree with what you dream is true then there's no real hope for you. Just search around for some more tests that show you're results and then swear that they are the only accurate source for information. In the meantime I would suggest heading off to an AMG chat board where everyone will just agree with you and you can all accuse sources that show different of being wrong.

My guess is in the real world from a stand still it's going to be down to who gets the better start and hits those gear changes perfectly. Of course in the Merc you don't have to worry about that. The old man gearbox will handle that for you
You are extremely uninformed because in the rest of the world, the E55 is advertised as having the same amount of horsepower as the S55, SL55, and CL55 at 493hp. Having owned both cars, I would have to say that the E55 feels faster from a dig but the M3 will pull away up top because of better gearing.