View Single Post
      11-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #27
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Not the type of person to argue for the sake of it.

Haldex is not like the torsen quattro system used in the rest of the range, it is primarily a fwd system which only transfers power to the rear when extra grip is needed, so with the exception of the standing start which will shift power briefly and in corners where grip is more important than hp the transmission lose should roughly be the same or there about to the rwd M3. That means there will be more of the 340hp+330ft/lbs getting used and less waste than expected.

This nose heavy argument is a total smoke and mirrors thing that most BMW owners using to dis either awd or fwd cars, fact is that is a very misunderstood debate. Nose weight isn't all that bad, it's down to how the suspension is setup to how much understeer is introduced. Audi normally add understeer as a safety issue but that doesn't have to be the case and there is numerous fwd cars which hardly understeer at all. Another thing nose weight does not translate to poor speed through the corner, again another myth that some BMW owners believe is true. Look at the TT-S and see how good it is through the corners in comparison to the 335i.

I know the M3 is limited, I was only highlighting the fact that the M3's topspeed is 155mph according to BMW where as the TT-RS might be 170mph according to the latest info. I don't think anyone was reading more into it.

Again I was only highlighting the 0-100km/h times of the TT-RS and showing how it is a true rival to the M3 on performance terms, that's all. If you don't feel it's a rival then no harm done, I on the other hand see things different and do see it as an alternative to the M3 if the rear seats aren't really a major issue.
You aren't? Have you seen that GTR thread?

Anyway, the Haldex is the least efficient of the systems. Just because it operates with 85% of the power being sent to the front wheels does not mean it is efficient. It just means 85% of what is being put to the ground is going to the front. The average losses of people who dyno the TT and A3 are 23%, pretty significant.

If you feel weight in the nose isn't an issue, cool, but I prefer for my cars to be balanced and behave like a RWD car so the throttle can adjust behavior. Get on the power in a nose heavy car sending its power to the front wheels and you will just understeer into a tree. Understeer for safety... yep, it will have plenty of it as Audi's always do.
Appreciate 0