View Single Post
      12-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

Well correct me if I'm wrong but I never said the OEM 19s were an inferior wheel. Also please take note that the BBS LM-Rs is a three piece forged wheel as compared to our OEM 19s (single-piece, forged) and P40s (monoblock forged) so how would you even compare them?

Take a look at Rays' 19" TE-37 - 21.6lbs and 22.2lbs both with wider width wheels as well. I believe our M3 GT2 Rahal team runs an 18" G2 version.

Also, have you ever seen a large motorsports team running HRE wheels? If you do a little research, HRE wheels were banned from IMSA and Viper Racing League due to bent and broken wheels. This was back a few years ago, I believe they have resolved a number of their issues and have strengthened a number of their wheels designed hence the "long-term durability mentality" they have now. I am not hating on HREs, they are an excellent wheel company.. but a lot of people in this board have the misconception that they are the end all be all wheel for our M3s; both in the looks department (which i applaud them for) and performance (which is unknown/questionable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
OEM 19s are already 23 lbs so 6-7 lbs per corner would mean you need to find a 19" wheels that weighs 16 or 17 lbs which I don't think I've ever come across.

BBS LM-Rs are 23 lbs in 19" just like the OEM 19s so I guess BBS is not really focused on performance either because they don't weight 5+ lbs less. While I'm all for lightweight wheels, it seems like some of you guys are expecting the impossible and want it cheap. Reality is, the OEM wheels are very good in terms of weight and durability and other than cosmetics, its really hard to make a significant improvement.

Last edited by noxredna; 12-27-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0