View Single Post
      04-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #55
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAStradale View Post
Ok, I am glad to see these comments since it seems we all have it (6MT).

Actually, I have an answer to this. Soft engine mountings!

My father was a racing driver, and he always used to change engine mountings to heavy duty ones. Basically what it does - reduces the movements of the engine in the engine bay (at the expense of the comfort, because you feel the engine movement heavily in the car). On the other note, the engine itself is more "fixed" in the engine bay and doesnt move a lot, therefore resulting in easier shifts.

So when these mountings are "soft" if the surface is a slightly uneven, sometimes its difficult to get a right gear, and also on a high RPMs, when you release the clutch the engine moves.

It is really annoying. I was even planning to write a letter to M Gmbh, since it is highly disappointing that it happens on the M3. Too much comfort in this car....

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the motor mounts. From what I understand the stock ones are the same ones out of a E36/E46 M3 which cannot handle the power of the V8. I noticed I experience the grind under load in a turn or when the motor is loaded up heavily. I am thinking of giving them a shot.
Appreciate 0