08-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #35
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
I think everyone is obsessing over this topic. I am very amused!

BMW engineers spent huge hours designing the factory suspension BUT! they also had to make a compromise to accommodate a wide range of drivers and passengers (have you ever seen an 80 year old lady driving an M5? I have!) They had to make the suspension a little softer and more 'comfortable' than most guys on this forum are wanting- This is why reputable aftermarket suspension companies make a spring that is more performance oriented than the OEM parts. These aftermarket springs are NOT made just to lower the car and make it look pretty. They are designed to satisfy the more aggressive driving style of certain individuals.
Hi John!

Actually, I've read and learned that those after market springs are not best for the stock M3 suspension. NOT because they are slightly stiffer, but because the stock suspensions 'rebound' will be off.

And that's probably why some owners say that the car may feel more stable or planted, but there is no definite answer on if the car has faster lap times with springs.......And some even feel that the lap times have 'very slightly' declined a bit.

I really wanted springs and spacers, but the stock suspension is brilliant according to my impression......And I'd hate to mess with it especially since the handling is one of the key shining points of the M3. This is just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0