07-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #107
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
I think the Autoexpress Artikle is not 100% correct and a little bit confusing.

To my Infos there are only two 6 cylinder possibilities, because the M-GmbH has developed them for testing:

- an 3.3ltr.V6 TT(T) ... developed from the S63 M5 4.4ltr.V8 TT
- an 3.2ltr.I6 TT(T) ... developed from the N55 engine

In the moment the descision has gone to the inline-6 3.2ltr. because itīs the cheapest alternative ... the 3.2ltr is the maximum displacement they can get from the N55 engineblock ... more displacement wouldnīt come because that meens an complete new engineblock ... and that is too costly.

Uli_HH
Kind of sad how it's now "too expensive" to make a block just for the M3, even though BMW sells WAY more units now than they did back with the E30 or real E36 M3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Technically, if the third "turbo" is electrically-powered (as opposed to driven by exhaust gases), then it's a supercharger, not a turbo.
Agreed. It's more of an electric supercharger than a turbo since it doesn't run off the exhaust.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0