View Single Post
      06-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #30
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drifter View Post
I signed up for the BMW Summit Point event at the end of July.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out where to mount a GoPro in a GTR. I have Recaro's without headrest bars. The Roll Cage is down the road.

Not sure this will pass tech, but am thinking about getting the GoPro mount for bicycle seat-post/handle bar and bolting it to the rear-view mirror arm. I am going to ask BMWCCA directly, but am looking for input and suggestions.

The BMW CCA NJ Chapter's Tech Form States:
PASSENGER-COMPARTMENT MOUNTED CAMERAS/CAMCORDERS MUST BE BOLTED TO THEIR MOUNTS WHICH MUST IN TURN BE RIGIDLY MOUNTED. IN ADDITION, THE CAMERA MUST BE TETHERED WITH EITHER A HIGH-TENSILE WEBBING OR STEEL CABLE. THE TETHER MUST BE SHORT ENOUGH TO PREVENT THE CAMERA FROM CONTACTING THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER. SUCTION-CUP AND ADHESIVE-TYPE MOUNTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Since I run with NJ BMWCCA- I can tell you that the Tech policy noted in caps is accurate and is inspected during Tech Inspetion and at Pit-Out, as written. Don't forget the security leash.

Camera mounting policy among various groups is becoming more conservative due to issues on track and the rapidly increasing use of cameras and creative mounts that don't consider failure modes. Keeping the camera secured during an off-track excursion is a reasonable concern among all sponsoring organization and their insurers.

Organizations are increasingly restricting external mounts due to past problems with poor mounting.

Some clubs no longer permit suction cup mounts.
Appreciate 0