01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I use PSS as my DD tires and wet track tires. NT01s are my dry track tires. So here's my opinion:

The NT01 is a great track tire with pretty decent grip, reasonable wear, good at the limit predictability and excellent heat cycling resistance. It is not the grippiest tire out there, but it is a reasonable compromise. On the dry, it is 1 to 2 seconds faster on a 2 minute circuit compared to the PSS. However, in my opinion, the NT01 really suck in the wet, standing water or not. Especially if it is relatively cold. In this case, I am 1-2 seconds faster with the PSS in the wet compared to the NT01.

The PSS is reasonable as a dry track tire, with decent grip and predictability. However, when you push it hard and put heat into them, they degrade extremely fast. They almost seem to melt away. If you are getting reasonably fast as a driver, you will find that they do not last long on a dry track. I find them excellent in the rain though. When they were new, I could follow 4WD drive cars (STi, Evo, R8) in heavy rain without too much struggle.
Thanks, and to your point, last season I was at a point where I got chunking off the tire and the tires started to wear quicker towards the end of the season. Looks like you're confirming in dry conditions NT-01s would wear better and last longer performance wise than PSS. When I go to the track I'll have street tires that would be my rain / wet tires. I would then only use NT-01s for dry conditions.

My goal last season was to drive until my abilities would be close to overwhelming my street tires, and I was wary of jumping the gun to R-Comps too quickly, but now I think it's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainofjjj View Post
I run PSSs on the street only. I think RS3s are the best bang for your buck tire. Can't see running a premium street tire on the track. Just run Michelin Cups.
Would love to run Michelin Cups actually, but too pricey for me. I think it will be NT-01s for me this season.
Appreciate 0