View Single Post
      07-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #266
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
No matter which way you slice it the 997.2S wether its a manual or PDK has a significant margin over the m3 wether its a manual or dct.
We all know that a 1-2 second faster lap on a 2 minute course is a lot. The 997.2 S has a margin of at of between 7-15 seconds vs the m3 which if you extrapolate based on 2 seconds being a large maring on a 2 minute course, even 7 seconds on the ring is a much faster time, let alone 15 seconds.
The time of 8:05 for the M3 was done on Cup+ tires. This car also had upgraded brake pads which without a doubt had some effect on time. Here is the link where you can clearly see the tires are MPSC+.
http://www.sportauto-online.de/super...d-1036129.html

Even the 997.1 was in Walter's hands did 7:59. Thats a good margin. The 997.2S with PDK ran 7:50 on Cups and is clearly on a level above the m3.
Either way...you can argue semantics and variables all day long, but fact remains that the 997.2S in either transmission if a faster car than any e9X m3 with either transmission.

I think you a mixing up one thing. The 997.2S with manual was only QUOTED at 7:58. I dont think theres an official time for the car actually havnt been run ASAIK. Im sure it would be in ~7:53-7:55 range.
On another note...of course Rohl is faster in the 911 than Saurma, he knows how to get more out of it than Saurma does...which you just proved the point that the 911 IS faster because Saurma cannot extract as much out of a 911 than is truly capable. He maybe be able to extract 95% of the m3s max potential, while only being able to extract 90% of the 911's max and is still able to get better laps times at only 90% potential in the 911 than he can with 95% of the m3s potential.

Right on all points. But as I said earlier, I don't think the debate here is really about the fact that the Porsche is faster. There's just something about some BMW owners who, psychologically, refuse to accept that the car above theirs is faster. And these are the people who are not worth the time and effort. Let them be.
Appreciate 0